We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Accutane is a drug that I was prescribed from my dermatologist, and if you’re reading this I’m going to hope that you’ve read more about the drug itself as the side effects can be dangerous! Accutane is something that you should talk over with your doctor as it is permanently changing your body. But after over a year of trying topicals, pills, and changing diet we discussed Accutane, and I decided it was time.
I AM NOT PROMOTING ACCUTANE. ACCUTANE IS A SERIOUS DRUG WITH MAJOR SIDE EFFECTS AND SHOULD BE SOMETHING YOU CONSULT ABOUT WITH YOUR DOCTOR. YOUR DERMATOLOGIST WILL KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR YOUR SKIN.
This is the part I’m dreading the most but I want to be able to document my skin changes. My first month has been a back and forth experience, I had a purge phase but after a week or so it started to calm back down.
Day 1 and Day 26 (the day I saw my dermatologist) look very similar, and I think my skin was just trying to purge out everything under the surface. I wouldn’t say I’ve had any acne improvements, but when talking to my dermatologist he told me that I most likely won’t see any until month 3, so I’m looking forward to that.
Right now the most significant change I had is that my skin is no longer oily. I used to have unbearably oily skin to the point that if it was hot out I couldn’t wear makeup for even a minute without it sweating off (even with all the setting powders/sprays). I had dry patches around week two but chapped lips started almost immediately.
When the dryness started, I felt a change in the texture of my skin. Fortunately, I began using face masks to combat the dryness and I don’t have any dry patches currently.
Like I mentioned before, the first side effect I had was chapped lips. This happened around day 4/5. Then about 2 weeks in I started to notice dryness. Before this, I never dealt with dryness so it was a new experience. For both of these issues, I piled on the Aquaphor and called it a day.
I had joint pain on days when I wasn’t as active, but I fixed this by just trying to be more active between my Netflix binges.
SKIN CARE ROUTINE
- Aquaphor 7oz ($6.99) is the holy grail must-have while on Accutane. It’s great for chapped lips, eczema, dry skin, basically anything. I have the large 7 oz and 2 of the .35oz travel sized for when I leave the house. I will not go anywhere without this!
- Aritaum Ginger Sugar Overnight Lip Mask ($8.76) If you follow my Instagram you’ll remember this from my story as it is the savior to my chapped lips. In my opinion, it’s better than the Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask ($26) and a fraction of the price.
- CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser ($11.72) I use this every morning and night to cleanse my skin and it leaves I love it. It doesn’t strip my skin and leaves it feeling soft and clean.
Bliss Make-Up Melt Dry/Wet Gentle Jelly Cleanser ($9.99) I use this cleanser every night that I’m wearing makeup. I put it on dry and let it dissolve my makeup before rinsing. I bought this on a whim while going through target and now it’s one of my favorite products.
SheaMoisture Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Face Lotion ($7.99) SheaMoisture makes such amazing products so when I saw this coconut oil face moisturizer, I picked it up! It smells amazing and leaves my face feeling soft all day.
- Tarteguard 30 Vegan Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 30 ($32) Being on Accutane means your skin is going to be more sensitive, AKA sunscreen needs to be worn every day. I hate the smell of sunscreen so I tried a sample of this and it smells nothing like sunscreen. I’ve been using it ever since. This is one of the pricier items, but I do recommend a good sunscreen!
Pixi By Petra Hydrating Milky Mist ($15) Accutane really dries out your skin, and I find this misting spray really helps keep my skin from drying out throughout the day. It’s one of my go-to products. I already finished my first bottle and bought a second.
- CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream ($12.69) I use this as my night moisturizer as it traps all the moisture in my skin so it doesn’t peel and dry out overnight. It’s a miracle product as a little goes a long way.
DR. JART+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30 ($18-52) I wasn’t sure on whether to include this but I’ve been using it for months (even before Accutane) and love it. It’s a correcting treatment that balances out your skin tone, and I wear it on days I don’t want to put on foundation and need to go out. If that is the case I skip the Tarte SPF as this has SPF 30. They have a little .5oz version I worth trying out as it cancels redness!
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion ($15.99) Accutane dries out your skin everywhere, not just your face. So investing in a lotion is a must. I decided to go with Cetaphil as I’ve used their line before and loved it. This lotion is great for after the shower and daily use. I save Aquaphor for places where I have dry patches. I haven’t used this on my face but it says it can be used for face/body.
- YesTo Coconut Moisturizing Sleeping Mask ($1.35) I’m in love with the YesTo masks. I have about a dozen in my cabinet as they really work well with my skin. So when I saw they had a sleeping mask I decided to pick it up. This is their moisturizing sleeping mask I’m recommending but any of the coconut masks help! This is just an easy mask to put on at the end of the night.
PETER THOMAS ROTH Cucumber Gel Mask Extreme Detoxifying Hydrator ($52) I’ve been using this face mask for over a year and love it. Not only does it help with redness, but since being on Accutane I’ve noticed it helps with my dryness too. It’s my holy grail face mask, so if you’re looking for a splurge this is it. They also have this face mask in a set, Mask Appeal for $17.50, if you want to try out the mask for a more reasonable price. I’m currently wearing it right now and a little goes a long way. I’ve had the 5oz mask for a year and I’m just starting to hit the bottom.
I hope you’ ve enjoyed reading my products of Accutane and month 1 progress. I’ll be sure to update this list next month if anything changes and post progress photos next month as I count down the next 5 months of Accutane.
If you would like to follow along with my day to day, head over to my instagram! @OhRoseTravels
Until Next Time,